Oct 7, 2014

Brew (Salem's Revenge,#1)

☆☆☆☆
Brew.
Salem's Revenge#1
David Estes

Publisher: Amazon.
Publication Date:October 1,2014
Genre:YA Dystopian| Action
Format|Pages:EBook|440
Source: Goodreads|Bought.













Salem’s Revenge strikes without warning or mercy, ravaging the powerless human race under the forces of united gangs of witches, wizards, and warlocks. During the slaughter, Rhett Carter's foster parents and sister are killed, and his best friend and girlfriend are abducted by a gang of witches calling themselves the Necromancers, who deal in the dark magic of raising the dead. Rhett’s sword-wielding neighbor with a mysterious past saves Rhett from becoming another casualty of the massacre and teaches him the skills he needs to survive in this new world. 

Rhett is broken, his normal high school life of book blogging and football playing shoved in a witch-apocalyptic blender. The only thing he has left is his burning desire for revenge. Armed with his new witch hunting skills and a loyal, magic powered dog named Hex, he sets out into the unknown with one mission: hunt and destroy those who took away everyone he ever loved. 

But Rhett isn’t just a witch hunter; he has secrets of his own that he has yet to discover, secrets that his enemies will stop at nothing to keep him from.

And discovering the truth about himself is the human race’s only hope. 






 

When I heard that David Estes is coming out with new series, a series about witches. I was excited. I love novels that has anything to do with witches, it’s a subject that fascinated me from my teen years. Before reading Brew I had read few series about witches, wizards. Brew was unlike any that I read, a witch apocalypse, doesn’t knowing that make you want to read it? That’s what I loved about this book, it’s was different, it was original and unlike any other book I read about witches. To me, Brew portrayed the way most of the witches usually are. The real witches. I loved every page of this book and I know if it wasn’t for work, would finish much faster. Brew is type of a novel that you can’t help but love, it sucks you right into story. After you finish it, you find yourself thinking about it and wanting to pick up Boil right after. How can you not? How can you not wonder what happens after such ending? 


Rhett : It’s hard not to like him. Even before everything fell apart, there was something about him that you couldn’t help but love. In a way I could relate to him, a bit. He was a reader like me, a book blogger like I am. Plus the poems that he wrote through the book, I write a bit similar to type poems he did, filled with a lot of emotions, a way to get my emotions out too. It’s hard not to like someone that you can relate to. I loved his dedication to, what he had gone through, the dangers that he face, to face necromancers who took everything from him. For someone who didn’t liked fighting in beginning, he went through a lot. That takes a lot of strength, courage. Though if he didn’t meet Laney I don’t know if he got far, considering she saved his life. Part of me believes that she was one thing that kept him going. He changed completely through the book and have feeling that he’s about change more. 


Laney and Rhett made an unlike team. They were both different. Honestly I didn’t think she go as far as she did. That’s a real friendship right there, but there were times were I wondered if she might feel about him more that friend. Maybe she denied it because of Beth, because she knows how he feels about Beth, because now wouldn’t be best time to be in relationship. I’m curious to see if their friendship might progress a bit more in Boil, despite what happens with Beth. They do make a great team, they went through so much together, fought witches, sirens, were almost killed multiple times, constantly on run. I wouldn’t be able to do it if I was in their situation. That would take a lot. A dedicated team. A strong friendship. 


I loved that most of book was filled with action. Each chapter, each page there was always something going on. If they weren’t running from Witches, they come across Sirens or The End, or explosions. It seemed like they couldn’t catch a break. They made through all of that and I do hope they make it all the way. Each chapter had me eager to see what happens next, what adventures, dangers the two friends will face next. I have feeling that there about to face more of it in Boil, considering how Brew ended. 


David Estes, who also happens, be good friend of mine wrote a thrilling, heartbreaking, suspenseful new series. A must read series. I’m excited to see what adventures he will lead us to next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon