Oct 12, 2014

Born Wicked(Cahill Witch Chronicles,#1)

☆☆☆☆
Born wicked
Cahill Witch Chronicles,#1
Jessica spotswood.

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication Date:February 7,2012
Genre:YA  Historical  Fantasy| Romance.
Format|Pages:Hardcover|330
Source: Goodreads|Library.











Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave. 

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra. 

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.








There is something about witches, magic novels that I love. Those types of books have been my favorite’s fantasy novels since my teen years. It’s fascinates me, engages me. Born Wicked wasn’t any different and it wasn’t what I expected it to be, the novel turned out even better that I expected to be. I have heard about this series for a while now and it seemed like a novel that a lot of people enjoyed. Finally I had a chance to check it out at my library and moment I started it, glad that I did. Once I read it , I was amazed and wished that I read the book earlier. I know that this is fantasy but the way story was written, it felt real to me. I imagined everything that was happening; I felt the emotions that Cate was feeling through everything. Born Wicked a story, characters that you will fall in love with, you will find yourself thinking about afterwards. How can you not? You can’t help but wonder what happens next. After an ending like that, I wish that I had Starcursed so I could start reading it right away. 


You can’t help but feel bad for Cate Cahill; she has so many responsibilities on her shoulders. Cate is the one who needs to protect her sisters, to protect their secret from everyone. Top of everything she finds out a secret that their mother hid from them, the secret that she has to make sure stays hidden. That’s a lot of for one person. I wouldn’t be able to do everything that she did and hold it all together. Reading from her point of view, gave me insight of her thoughts, feelings and by the end of the novel, it felt that I actually knew her, it was real. Cate was a strong character, and my favorite. Everything that she done for her sisters, to protect them. To make sure that they weren’t going to get caught arrested. It felt like Maura didn’t realize how much sacrifice she did for them. What happened at the end, she did it for them. 


Of course I adored Finn from start. I saw a connection between the two of them from first meeting, even if Cate didn’t at first. I know that Paul cared for Cate a lot but it’s not how Cate felt for him, there was no special connection between two of them. At least that’s the feeling I got. The first kiss between Cate and Finn was filled with passion, love. When the two of them kissed, I was smiling. I had hoped that two of them would kiss. That Finn would be the one that Cate would choose. I got feeling that Paul wouldn’t be as accepting as Finn was when he found out that she’s a witch. Finn didn’t treat her any differently, he loved her for way she was. That’s why ending made me sad. I hoped that the things would work between them and he didn’t even know reason she joined sisterhood. I’m eager to see what happens between two of them next. 


I had feeling that there was something off about Elena, moment she arrived. Have you ever read about a character and you had feeling something wasn’t right? That’s a feeling that I had about her from start. Not just her but Sisterhood in general, once I found out that all of them were witches. They sent Elena, to spy on the sisters. That gave me a red flag right away. I just wished that Maura saw it too. There is something off about her too, and not in a good way. How Sisterhood blackmailed Cate to join them, made me angry, it had me disliking Elena even more. Because she joined them, she has to leave her sisters, and unable to marry the boy she loves. Now that she joined the sisterhood, it has me wondering what’s going to happen next. 


Born Wicked reminded me a lot of what Salem Witch Trial was like. A book filled with suspense, history, love, sacrifice. A must read series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon