Jun 8, 2019

On The Come Up.

☆☆☆
on the come up.
angie thomas.

Publisher  Balzer+Bray.
Publication Date:February 5,2019.
Genre: YA Contemporary.
Format|Pages: EBook|447.
 Source:  Goodreads|Owned.

















CONTAINS SPOILERS



Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. Or at least make it out of her neighborhood one day. As the daughter of an underground rap legend who died before he hit big, Bri’s got big shoes to fill. But now that her mom has unexpectedly lost her job, food banks and shutoff notices are as much a part of Bri’s life as beats and rhymes. With bills piling up and homelessness staring her family down, Bri no longer just wants to make it—she has to make it.



On the Come Up is Angie Thomas’s homage to hip-hop, the art that sparked her passion for storytelling and continues to inspire her to this day. It is the story of fighting for your dreams, even as the odds are stacked against you; of the struggle to become who you are and not who everyone expects you to be; and of the desperate realities of poor and working-class black families 




 





Another inspiring, magnificent story.



I fell in love with ANGIE THOMAS’S Writing when I picked her debut novel, THE HATE U GIVE which I read last year, twice. I been excited about ON THE COME UP from the moment that she announced it on twitter. How could I not? Considering how much her debut novel affected me. When I started reading ON THE COME UP I was instantly hooked, to both the story and the characters. I had feeling that it would be a story that I would fall in love with. I did. I even recommended to a few of my friends as well. ON THE COME UP was different on THE HATE U GIVE and in the good way. I loved how Bri kept on fighting, despite what others said about her, to her. Not once did she give up on her dreams, and to me that’s dedication, courage. You cannot help but love Bri, and I know that she is type of person that I would love to be friends with. I don’t rap and only listen to rap music sometimes, and I thought that Bri’s rap that she came up with was catchy, and I actually found myself singing along with it few times, while I was reading the book. I hated how others started treating her afterwards, I understand that they thought the message that she was sending to others, but that gives them no right to assume what that song was about. I don’t know how she did it, how she handled it for as long as she did. If it was me in that situation, I wouldn’t be able to. That was one of the things that I loved about Bri, and how she kept going after her dream, no matter what was said about her song.



What I loved the most about this book was how realistic it was. Poverty. Addiction. Gang is something that actually happens, and I am sure that it is what a lot of people can relate to. Bri, she dealt with so much in this book. Besides Bri, her mother was my second favorite character in ON THE COME UP but then how could she not be? She’s recovering addict and just by reading this story, I saw how much she changed, and how hard she worked to provide for her family. She even gave up her education. I felt proud for her, and at same time I felt sorry, how hard she had work to provide for her family, and yet sometimes that wasn’t enough. I knew that Bri and her mom had their moments, especially when it comes to Bri;s rap, but I feel that was because she was afraid that she might lose her, the way that she lost her husband. She was trying to protect her. Despite their arguments, I knew that in the end they would be there for each other. Like Bri’s mother was when she found out what the guards at the school done to her, how they treated her. I knew that they would deny it, but I knew what they did was wrong, and that they shouldn’t been allowed back in school afterwards. I smiled, I cried, I got angry and I got scared while I read ON THE COME UP . It was as if I was feeling the emotions that characters were feeling in the story. It was…spectacular.



Just like THE HATE U GIVE , ON THE COME UP will be a book that you will be thinking about long after turning the last page, the story that you will be talking with your friends about. I did. I thought about the story, and the impact that this book had on me, days after I finished it. I fell in love. I am already eager to see what ANGIE THOMAS will come up with next. Highly recommended. A must read.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon