Aug 15, 2020

Scythe(Arc Of A Scythe,#1)





















 

 CONTAINS SPOILERS





Thou shalt kill.



A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.



Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own. 



 



I have heard about SCYTHE a while back. I had noticed that it had few good reviews about the series. I would have read it sooner, but my Library had few holds on this book. SCYTHE was unlike any YA Fantasy book that I have read before. Every page and every chapter had me craving for more of the story. I wanted to see what would happen with Citra and Rowan next, and I was eager to find out which one of them would end up being Scythe. I never imagined that Scythe, the death could take on apprentices. I knew that neither Rowan nor Citra wanted that role. Then what person would want to be responsible for causing the death of another one? I loved the unique name that they came up with for ‘Death,’ Scythe. There were a few slow parts in the book that I felt dragged on a bit. However, the rest of the book was impossible to put down, and as a reader, you found yourself eager to see what happens, who would win. You found yourself transformed into the world of Scythe.



Scythe Faraday is a character I knew I should not like. He killed others for a living. However, it was almost impossible not to like him. It was clear that he grieved the ones that he had to kill. I know that it was not typical for Scythes. What he had done for Citra and for Rowan, it was clear that he cared about them more than he should have. I found myself hoping that Scythe Faraday was not dead. Now, Scythe Goddard, I hated. He was the type of character that I had always imagined the ‘death’ being like, where he had no feelings for whom he killed and how he had done it. Considering he did all of his as mass killings, it was clear that he did not care, that he enjoyed what he was doing. When Scythe Goddard started training Rowan, I was afraid for him, and I was afraid that he might turn into the same murderer. I saw certain changes in him as time passed, but I was hoping that the old Rowan would come back.



That ending. Of course, it was not what I had expected to happen. I am eager to pick up the next book and see what happens next. I have a feeling that SCYTHE will be a series that I am going to fall in love with. If you love YA Fantasy, and wanting to read something a bit different, be sure to check out SCYTHE .



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon