Jul 30, 2018

I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter.

☆☆☆
i am not your perfect Mexican daughter.
 Erika L. Sanchez.

Publisher  Knopf Books.
Publication Date: October 17,2017.
Genre:YA Fiction.
Format Reads.|Pages: Hardcover|344.
 Source:  Goodreads|Library.













 CONTAINS SPOILERS

Perfect Mexican daughters do not go away to college. And they do not move out of their parents’ house after high school graduation. Perfect Mexican daughters never abandon their family.



But Julia is not your perfect Mexican daughter. That was Olga’s role.



Then a tragic accident on the busiest street in Chicago leaves Olga dead and Julia left behind to reassemble the shattered pieces of her family. And no one seems to acknowledge that Julia is broken, too. Instead, her mother seems to channel her grief into pointing out every possible way Julia has failed.



But it’s not long before Julia discovers that Olga might not have been as perfect as everyone thought. With the help of her best friend Lorena, and her first kiss, first love, first everything boyfriend Connor, Julia is determined to find out. Was Olga really what she seemed? Or was there more to her sister’s story? And either way, how can Julia even attempt to live up to a seemingly impossible ideal? 



 







A heartbreaking yet a gripping story about loss and grief.



I came across I AM NOT YOUR PEFECT MEXICAN DAUGHTER while I was at library, looking for a book to read. Both the title and the cover is what captured my attention first and I picked it up. I think that the cover itself captures the story of Julia, beautifully. The way she is looking out, as if she is trapped and doesn’t know what to do. Once I read the story, I know that is how Julia felt, trapped and reason that she wanted to go to college out of Chicago, because she needed escape. I can’t say that I don’t blame her. I wasn’t fond of how her mother, Ama tried to compare of how her sister, Olga did. It’s like as she tried to tell her that she was better than her. I could tell that in the beginning that she blamed Julia for her sister’s death. I understand that she was grieving but that’s not okay. I felt sorry for Ama, I did considering that she lost her child. A lot of times it was hard for me to like her due to how she treated her own daughter. Ama almost never gave her any breathing room, always critizing her, not listening to her. Ama wasn’t the only one who was grieving, Julia lost her sister too. Ama didn’t even seem to see how depressed Julia was until she end up in hospital. I know Julia didn’t make it easy on her by acting out. I do believe that she did that to get more attention and because she wanted to be heard, and she wanted more privacy. I don’t think I wouldn’t lasted as long as Julia had, I would gone crazy to wait that long to go to college.



The story was deep, and there were parts that were hard to read. However, that’s what grief is. I remember when my cousin and my best friend died suddenly, it was very hard for me. I know it’s bit different in Julia’s situation but at the same time, I knew the emotions she was going through. I believe that was one of reasons that she might wanted to find out what Olga was hiding. Maybe, but I am not too sure about that, it was closure for Julia. At least that is a feeling I got from reading the book. I AM NOT YOUR PERFECT MEXICAN DAUGHTER was filled with a lot of emotions. It was so well written that I felt as if I was going through the emotions along with Julia. Like her, I wanted to find out what Olga was hiding. I know that part of it had to do, was because she wanted for her parents to accept her for who she was. I know that she felt that her parents loved Olga more than they loved her. I feel like they were just grieving, but because Olga was so different, they didn’t know what to do with her. I do know they loved Julia too. I do wonder what they would think if they ever found out the truth about Olga, I feel like truth might destroyed them more. I think it’s the best if they never found out.




I AM NOT YOUR PEFECT MEXICAN DAUGHTER is a deep, emotional story. At the same time a story that you won’t be able to pull yourself from. A story that you will never forget. I didn’t. I am still finding myself thinking, what happened after? Once Julia went away to college? I can’t help but wonder what’s in store for Julia after. I just hope that she is finally happy.



Spectacular .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon