Jul 4, 2017

Ramona Blue.

☆☆☆
ramona blue.
julie murphy..

Publisher Balzer+Bray.
Publication Date: May 9,2017.
Genre:  YA  Contemporary GLBT Romance.
Format|Pages: Hardcover|432.
          Source:  Goodreads|Library















Ramona was only five years old when Hurricane Katrina changed her life forever.



Since then, it’s been Ramona and her family against the world. Standing over six feet tall with unmistakable blue hair, Ramona is sure of three things: she likes girls, she’s fiercely devoted to her family, and she knows she’s destined for something bigger than the trailer she calls home in Eulogy, Mississippi. But juggling multiple jobs, her flaky mom, and her well-meaning but ineffectual dad forces her to be the adult of the family. Now, with her sister, Hattie, pregnant, responsibility weighs more heavily than ever.



The return of her childhood friend Freddie brings a welcome distraction. Ramona’s friendship with the former competitive swimmer picks up exactly where it left off, and soon he’s talked her into joining him for laps at the pool. But as Ramona falls in love with swimming, her feelings for Freddie begin to shift too, which is the last thing she expected. With her growing affection for Freddie making her question her sexual identity, Ramona begins to wonder if perhaps she likes girls and guys or if this new attraction is just a fluke. Either way, Ramona will discover that, for her, life and love are more fluid than they seem. 




 





How can you not come across this novel and not be curious about it? The cover is…breathtaking, I feel like the cover alone will capture your attention enough and have you picking up book because you will be eager to find out what it’s about. At least that how it was for me when I came across it while at the library, cover of the book is what captured my attention first, followed by title. RAMONA BLUE is a completely unique title and as a reader, you wonder if there a story behind that name, how it all fits into the story. When I started reading RAMONA BLUE it wasn’t long until it made sense, both the title and the cover and it fit the story perfectly. It represented Ramona’s hair, Ramona’s love for swimming and way both her love life and family life seemed to spin out of control. I fell in love with Ramona’s story and with her family, at least some of her family, her friends. I felt like I became part of Ramona’s life. RAMONA BLUE was one of most realistic fiction novels I read this year. I couldn’t get enough, I couldn’t seem to put it down. 1 more chapter usually turned to 5 more because there wasn’t a single moment that i wanted to put it down.



Freddie, Grace : I wasn’t Grace’s biggest fan, mostly because of how she treated Ramona after she left. I understand that she might been confused and lost about what was happening, but that still didn’t give her right to treat Ramona like that. One minute she pushes her away, but when it comes just being the two of them, she’s all over her. Yet the moment that Ramona brings up a relationship, she pushes her away again. I got admit the two of them did have a connection, just the way there were around each other, despite their complication, I was sure she would end up with Grace at some point. Freddie and Ramona is another story, even if Ramona did not realize it in beginning or she might been confused about it, there were sparks between two of them moment that the two of them started hanging out. However, even I didn’t think that it would to relationship. In a way I was glad that it did, Freddie made her happy, they made each other happy. Most of their scenes together had me smiling. I couldn’t get enough the two of them.



I loved the relationship that Ramona had with her older sister, Hattie. Not many siblings have the relationship that Ramona had with her sister, Hattie. She was always there for her, always taking care of her. I feel like if it wasn’t for Ramona, she might been lost without her sister. It was impossible to not love Ramona, besides Freddie, she was my favorite character in the book. RAMONA BLUE is a second book that I read by JULIE MURPHY and it been few years since I read last one. Now that I read this one, I need, no I want to read the rest. This isn’t just a love story, it’s a story about friendship, family. I am not even sure if I can explain how much I loved this book. I will say, it was beautifully written with strong voice, and it’s worth giving a chance to. Every single page.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon