Apr 4, 2024

We Were The Lucky Ones.

 

 


It is the spring of 1939 and three generations of the Kurc family are doing their best to live normal lives, even as the shadow of war grows closer. The talk around the family Seder table is of new babies and budding romance, not of the increasing hardships threatening Jews in their hometown of Radom, Poland. But soon the horrors overtaking Europe will become inescapable and the Kurcs will be flung to the far corners of the world, each desperately trying to navigate his or her path to safety. 


As one sibling is forced into exile, another attempts to flee the continent, while others struggle to escape certain death, either by working grueling hours on empty stomachs in the factories of the ghetto or by hiding as gentiles in plain sight. Driven by an unwavering will to survive and by the fear that they may never see one another again, the Kurcs must rely on hope, ingenuity, and inner strength to persevere. 

 

 

 
Beautiful, heartbreaking, moving story. 


I can't... Once again, another book in which my emotions run high and I can't get the story out of my head. I can't picture what Kurc went through; it's sad. When I read the summary, I suspected that WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES would be a sad book. Nothing prepared me for what I read, and it was heartbreaking. I had to put the book down a few times because it became difficult for me to continue, and I found myself reflecting on it for a while before picking it back up. WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES Is one of those books that will shatter your heart several times, but you will be unable to stop reading. You will fall in love with the story and the characters, and you will be left wondering what will happen to the Kurc family next. However, you should expect an emotional roller coaster trip when reading this book. I found myself reaching for tissue boxes several times. I've read novels about the Holocaust before, but none had the same impact on me as WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES . I still can't get that out of my mind. 


I'm not sure which character I loved better, and if I had to choose just one, I doubt I'd be able to. They were each remarkable in their way. I adored Mila and the way she cared for her daughter, Felicia when her husband disappeared. I can't imagine what she must have gone through, and then having him reappear after all those years, and Mila believing he was dead. I also believe that her daughter Felicia was a smart and brave child, given what she had to go through at such an early age.I can't think she'll ever be able to overcome it, but I hope she will in the future. 


Felicia was my favorite character, and my heart broke for her, for everything she had to go through. Genek and Herta went through a lot as well, and I can't see how they'll ever get over such an agonizing experience. My heart grieved for them several times, and it was one of the rare instances when I struggled to read and reached for Kleenex. Those who are brave enough to go through such an experience. However, I couldn't get enough of everyone's experiences, and I was rooting for them all to make it through everything. 


WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES is a heartbreaking story, but one you won't forget. You'll ponder about it for years to come. If you enjoy historical fiction, you should read this one. It's worthwhile on every page. Incredible and strong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon