Jan 25, 2024

The Maid (Molly The Maid, #1)

 

 
 
 CONTAINS SPOILERS


Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and misreads the intentions of others. Her gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules that Molly could live by. 


Since Gran died a few months ago, twenty-five-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. No matter—she throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her obsessive love of cleaning and proper etiquette, make her an ideal fit for the job. She delights in donning her crisp uniform each morning, stocking her cart with miniature soaps and bottles, and returning guest rooms at the Regency Grand Hotel to a state of perfection. 


But Molly's orderly life is upended the day she enters the suite of the infamous and wealthy Charles Black, only to find it in a state of disarray and Mr. Black himself dead in his bed. Before she knows what's happening, Molly's unusual demeanor has the police targeting her as their lead suspect. She quickly finds herself caught in a web of deception, one she has no idea how to untangle. Fortunately for Molly, friends she never knew she had unite with her in a search for clues to what really happened to Mr. Black—but will they be able to find the real killer before it's too late? 

 

 

Mysterious. Intriguing. 


I'd heard about The Maid for a while and wanted to read it immediately, but I was on a hold list for several months. Although this book received mixed reviews, I decided to read it anyway. I'm glad I finally got the chance to read the book. I loved this book and couldn't get enough of the story. Of course, I was curious about who killed Mr. Black, if it was someone from the hotel, and whether Molly was protecting them. I can't imagine finding someone dead in a hotel while cleaning and being accused of a crime. I knew Molly was innocent and was only trying to assist a friend in need when she was charged with murder. I was suspicious of how she was arrested; Rodney was the person she called after getting the gun, and she was arrested shortly after for drug possession and traces on her maid's cart. I had a strong suspicion Rodney was to blame for her arrest. I suspected Rodney was up to something when he asked for her assistance assisting his friend, but I was wary of how he asked. Something was wrong with Rodney. I was hoping Molly would see Rodney for who he really was. 


I couldn't help falling in love with Molly. She has difficulty communicating with others and does not always act like others, and as a result, others appear to treat her with disrespect. I don't think that is fair to her. I admire Molly's dedication to her job; she clearly enjoys cleaning. There aren't many maids who genuinely enjoy their jobs. She does an excellent job cleaning the room, ensuring that it is sparkling clean for the next guest who stays there. When I stay in hotels, I rarely see rooms like this. I'm glad she became friends with Giselle; she needed a friend who accepted her for who she was. The two of them looked out for each other, and I believe they will be friends for many years. 


The reveal near the end of the book caught me off guard. I can understand why she did it, though. I can't think of anything I didn't enjoy about this book. If I didn't have to study and work, I would have finished it sooner. It's difficult to believe that The Maid was the author's first novel. I am confident that this will be one of my favorite authors, and I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon