Dec 31, 2023

Break The Fall.

 
 CONTAINS SPOILERS
 

Audrey Lee is going to the Olympics. 

 
A year ago, she could barely do a push up as she recovered from a spine surgery, one that could have paralyzed her. And now? She's made the United States' gymnastics team with her best friend, Emma, just like they both dreamed about since they were kids. She's on top of the world.
The pressure for perfection is higher than ever when horrifying news rips the team apart. Audrey is desperate to advocate for her teammate who has been hurt by the one person they trusted most--but not all the gymnasts are as supportive. 


With the team on the verge of collapse, the one bright spot in training is Leo, her new coach's ridiculously cute son. And while Audrey probably (okay, definitely) shouldn't date him until after the games, would it really be the end of the world? Balancing the tenuous relationship between her teammates with unparalleled expectations, Audrey doesn't need any more distractions. No matter what it takes, she's not going to let anyone bring them down. But with painful revelations, incredible odds, and the very real possibility of falling at every turn, will Audrey's determination be enough? 

  

 

 
Oh, man. I'm still determining how I'll get this story out of my head. Break Your Fall is not a book you will put down; it is one you will continue to read. Last night, I found myself reading past my usual bedtime. I used to dislike sports books, but they have become one of my favorites. Gymnastics has always been a favorite of mine. I'd had Break The Fall on my to-read list for a few years now, and once I started reading it, I wondered why it had taken me so long. It's clear that the author did a lot of research for this book; it felt like I was there with all the girls competing in the Olympics. A part of me wanted to go back and reread it, and I probably will one day. 


I had a great time going on this adventure with Audrey, Emma, Dani, and Chelsea. I didn't have a favorite among the girls; I adored them all. Dani: I don't know how to feel about what had happened to her and what it must have been like to bear it for as long as she had. I felt something was wrong when she was kicked off the Olympic team due to a failed drug test. I didn't believe they were telling the truth about what happened. Still, I had no idea what had happened. Sierra irritated me because she assumed Dani made it all up to get back on the team. Sierra should be kicked off the team based on how she treated everyone. She didn't act like she belonged to the group. 


The Olympic competition was my favorite part of the book. I knew little about gymnastics, especially after reading memoirs by Gabby Douglas & Simone Biles . I learned much more about gymnastics during the Olympics after reading Break The Fall. I loved how Audrey, Emma, Dani, and Chelsea worked well together and supported one another. They wouldn't have gotten as far as they did if they hadn't stuck together. I felt every emotion while reading this book. There is so much more I could say about this book. 


Break The Fall is not a book you will forget—an inspiration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon