Oct 25, 2020

Tigers, Not Daughters(Tigers, Not Daughters,#1)

                                 

   CONTAINS SPOILERS

 

 The Torres sisters dream of escape. Escape from their needy and despotic widowed father, and from their San Antonio neighborhood, full of old San Antonio families and all the traditions and expectations that go along with them. In the summer after her senior year of high school, Ana, the oldest sister, falls to her death from her bedroom window. 


A year later, her three younger sisters, Jessica, Iridian, and Rosa, are still consumed by grief and haunted by their sister’s memory. Their dream of leaving Southtown now seems out of reach. But then strange things start happening around the house: mysterious laughter, mysterious shadows, mysterious writing on the walls. The sisters begin to wonder if Ana really is haunting them, trying to send them a message—and what exactly she’s trying to say. 

 

 
 

  Have you ever picked up a book that you weren’t sure what to expect? A story that you ended up wondering why you haven’t read it sooner? TIGERS, NOT DAUGHTERS was that book for me. I came across this book at the library as I searched for a new book to read. I came across it, and the title and the cover caught my eye, and I was curious. Since I never read a book by the author, I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started reading. It did not take me long to fall in love with the characters, the story. TIGERS, NOT DAUGHTERS was a powerful, yet a heartbreaking story. It’s not just a story about sisters, but about grief, love, acceptance. Everything felt real, and I felt all the pain, anger, the grief that the sisters were facing after Ana’s death. Even Ana’s ghost felt real. All those emotions, descriptions, I pictured it and felt it all. I could not stop, nor did I want to stop. I needed to see what would happen with the sisters. 


I could not get this story out of my head. It kept on haunting my thoughts long after I finished the book. TIGERS, NOT DAUGHTERS was one of those books that made me glad that I decided to check out, that I was curious about. This is one of the best ways to discover a new author. I am eager to check out what other adventures SAMANTHA MABRY came up with. There were few slow parts, but it did not last long, and before you knew it, you have been reading for hours. While reading this book, I lost track of time because I was engrossed in the book. I loved that the book was written by each sister. An excellent way for the reader to get to know each of the sisters better. I loved each one of them; they were all unique in their way. There is so much I can say about this book, but I don’t think there is enough time to write it all down. It took my breath away. I know that if it weren’t for the amount of homework I had, I would have finished it in one day. 


As the story progresses, you can see a change in each of the sisters. I knew that Ana’s ghost was there for a reason. I believe she was there to bring them together. They needed each other. TIGERS, NOT DAUGHTERS is unlike any book that I have read before, and I have read few that included ghosts. I loved the magical realism in this book. Even Ana’s ghost felt real. I could picture there, along with her sisters, watching over them. I still cannot get the story out of my mind. I feel that this will be the one that I will return to in the future. TIGERS, NOT DAUGHTERS, has everything that I love about books. It’s a book that I would recommend to my friends, my family. It’s magical, inspirational. It will feel you with all of the emotions. It’s worth it, every single page. 


A Must Read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon