Jan 2, 2021

The Return.

 
 CONTAINS SPOILERS


Trevor Benson never intended to move back to New Bern, NC. But when a mortar blast outside the hospital where he worked as an orthopedic surgeon sent him home from Afghanistan with devastating injuries, the dilapidated cabin he inherited from his grandfather seemed as good a place to regroup as any. 


Tending to his grandfather's beloved bee hives while gearing up for a second stint in medical school, Trevor isn't prepared to fall in love with a local . . . and yet, from their very first encounter, his connection with Natalie Masterson can't be ignored. But even as she seems to reciprocate his feelings, she remains frustratingly distant, making Trevor wonder what she's hiding. 


Further complicating his stay in New Bern is the presence of a sullen teenage girl, Callie, who lives in the trailer park down the road from his grandfather's cabin. Claiming to be 19, she works at the local sundries store and keeps to herself. When he discovers she was once befriended by his grandfather, Trevor hopes Callie can shed light on the mysterious circumstances of his grandfather's death, but she offers few clues -- until a crisis triggers a race that will uncover the true nature of Callie's past, one more intertwined with the elderly man's passing than Trevor could ever have anticipated. 


In his quest to unravel Natalie and Callie's secrets, Trevor will learn the true meaning of love and forgiveness . . . and that in life, to move forward, we must often return to the place where it all began. 

 

 

 

 Heart-wrenching, mysterious. 


There is a reason I loved Nicholas Sparks since I was 16 years old. It has been years since I have read The Notebook and A Walk To Remember . There hasn't been a single book of his that I did not fall in love with. I am always excited when I find out that he has a new book coming out. The Return is the book that I have been looking forward to when I heard that he's writing a new book. I pre-ordered the book but did not have a chance to read it until now. Once again, Nicholas Sparks did not disappoint me. I loved the mystery aspect of the story, keeping me on the edge of my seat until I reached then. Like Trevor, I was curious about Callie and was wondering what she was hiding. I felt that something was off about Callie from the start, just by how she acted around Trevor, mysterious. She would get defensive and aggressive if he tried to ask her specific questions, especially about his grandfather. I knew that she must be hiding something. I couldn't help but be intrigued by her story. When Callie got sick, I wondered what Trevor would find out about her. Once the truth was discovered, it made sense of her actions. I cannot imagine dealing with something that tragic on my own. 


Trevor. I had mixed emotions about him through most of the book. There were times that I loved him, and other times I wasn't sure about him. I did feel as if he came onto Natalie a bit too strong at times. I knew that there was something between the two of them, but I felt as if he pushed her a bit hard at times. I could tell that Natalie was attracted to him, but I felt she was trying to deny her feelings for Trevor. The way that she acted when the two of them were together as if she didn't want to be seen together. I knew that she must have been hiding something, and like Trevor, it made me suspicious. Was she seeing someone else? Her strange behavior indicated that she might be. When the truth came out, it wasn't anything that I was expecting to. However, it made sense for her strange behavior, ending things with Trevor. My heart broke for both of them, mostly since it was clear how much they loved each other. I did hope that maybe there is a chance that the two could find a way to be with each other. 


The Return was different from his other novels but in the right way. That is what I love about his books, no matter how different it is, you will fall in love every time. I loved how Trevor did not give up on both Natalie and Callie. He's the type of guy that you want to be on your side. I loved the parts about the bees, the beehives. I learned a lot of useful information about bees by reading this book. I love honey, and it was interesting to know how honey is made. The Return did include more mystery than romance than his previous books did. As always, there wasn't anything that I did not love about the books. Like Trevor and Natalie, I fell in love. I fell in love with the characters and the story. I was sad when I reached the end, knowing that it came to an end. I cannot wait to see what Nicholas Sparks has in store for us next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon