Aug 3, 2020

The Dressmaker's Gift.

☆☆☆
the dressmaker's gift.
Fiona  valpy..

Publisher  Lake Union Publishing.
Publication Date: October 1,2019.
Genre:  Historical Fiction.
 Format|Pages: Kindle|286.
 Source: Goodreads| Kindle Unlimited.
















CONTAINS SPOILERS



Paris, 1940. With the city occupied by the Nazis, three young seamstresses go about their normal lives as best they can. But all three are hiding secrets. War-scarred Mireille is fighting with the Resistance; Claire has been seduced by a German officer; and Vivienne’s involvement is something she can’t reveal to either of them.


Two generations later, Claire’s English granddaughter Harriet arrives in Paris, rootless and adrift, desperate to find a connection with her past. Living and working in the same building on the Rue Cardinale, she learns the truth about her grandmother – and herself – and unravels a family history that is darker and more painful than she ever imagined.


In wartime, the three seamstresses face impossible choices when their secret activities put them in grave danger. Brought together by loyalty, threatened by betrayal, can they survive history’s darkest era without being torn apart? 


 
 





Gripping. Suspenseful. Haunting.


Once again, I am in love. This is the third book that I read by FIONA VALPY , and I have no words what I read, all the emotions that I was feeling. So far, I had loved all of the books that I have read so far. FIONA VALPY is one author that I wished that I had discovered sooner than I have, I love her writing style and you cannot but fall in love with the story, the characters. Every page, every chapter will have you wondering what is going to happen next, what will happen with them all. From the start, from the moment that Harriet arrives in Paris, searching for her grandmother, Claire’s history, and like her, I am curious. I am eager to find out what happened to Claire, along with her friends in that photograph. I love that the book goes back and forth between Claire’s story in 1940 and Harriet’s story. I had enjoyed Harriet’s story; however, I enjoyed reading Claire, Mireille, and Vivienne more; there seemed to be much more going on in their story, but of course, during that time, a lot was happening. While reading their story, I felt as I was transformed there along with them. I felt as if I was there, along with Claire, Mireille, and Vivienne.




Out of all of her books, , THE DRESSMAKER’S GIFT was the most heartbreaking one. I should know, considering the time it took place, yet I was not prepared how heart wrecking it would be. I did wonder if Claire, at some point, would join the resistance with Mireille and Vivienne. I was wondering about the German officer, and I wondered if he was up to something or if he cared about Claire. I had a bad feeling about him, but at the same time, I hoped that I was wrong. I could not help but wonder about his interest in Claire. I love the friendship between Claire, Mireille, and Vivienne, and the way that the three of them were always looking out for each other. I cannot even begin to imagine what Mireille was feeling when Claire and Vivienne were captured and not knowing if there were alive or not. I felt the same horror that she was feeling, and I was rooting for the two of them to make it out of there alive.




What Vivienne and Claire went through, it broke my heart into a million pieces. Sometimes it was hard for me to read what they had to go through. I just hoped that they would make out of there alive. I knew that even if they made out of there alive, they would never be the same. How can anyone be after going through something that horrific? Once I reached the end, I could not stop thinking about them. It was as if my brain did not want to forget it. Despite the subject and how hard it was to read at a time, I could not put it down. I did not want to put it down; I wanted to see how it was going to end. I am glad that Harriet was able to find out about her grandmother’s history, and I felt as it gave her peace once she did. THE DRESSMAKER’S GIFT is one of the best, most passionate historical fiction that I have read this year. I cannot wait to see what FIONA VALPY has in store for us next. If you are a fan of historical fiction, be sure to check her books out. You will have a hard time putting them down once you do.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon