May 24, 2021

Sunkissed.

 

                        ✰

                                             CONTAINS SPOILERS


After being betrayed by her best friend, Avery is hoping for a picture-perfect summer. Too bad her parents have dragged her and her sister to a remote family camp for the entire summer. And that’s not even the worst part. Avery also has to deal with no internet, a cute but off-limits staff member, and an always-in-her-face sister. 


But what starts as a disaster turns into a whirlwind summer romance as Avery embarks on an unexpected journey to figure out what she truly wants and who she wants to be. 

 

  

 
I shouldn’t be surprised, and there hasn’t been a Kasie West novel that I haven’t enjoyed. Through the years of reading her books, she had become one of my favorite authors. Her stories: they are real. When I read her books, it feels as if I can relate to characters, even if I never experienced what they have. Sunkissed was a light read, and once again, I found myself being able to relate to the characters. I have read few books in the camp, but most of the books I have read were about the camp staff, not the quests. I found it interesting that the staff couldn’t even hang out with the guests when they were off the clock. It did add a bit of mystery between Brooks and Avery’s friendship because they had to sneak around and make sure they wouldn’t get caught. At the same time, the two of them could go more places if they didn’t have to hide their friendship all the time. 


I liked the friendship between Brooks and Avery. I enjoyed the fact that the two of them didn’t fall in love right away. The way that the two of them met, I wasn’t sure that they would become friends. I loved watching the bond between the two of them grow. Of course, I couldn’t help but wonder if it would develop into something else. It was clear how much the two of them cared for each other; by the way that the two of them were helping each other. I do think that Brooks should stand up for Avery more to his band. I understand why she was angry and hurt. I loved most of the scenes between the two of them. I was rooting for the two of them throughout the entire book. Their friendship and romance were real. 


Lauren. She was one character that I wasn’t sure how to feel about at the beginning. I felt as all she did was complain. As the book progressed, I couldn’t help but love her. I love how passionate she was about her documentary. Even if she didn’t always show it, she loved her sister. I do feel as Lauren and Avery’s relationship changed through the book. The two of them bonded over the band, and I believe that it brought them a bit closer together. I was smiling when the two of them bonded. I even wondered
what would happen to their relationship once the summer was over. In general, Sunkissed is a cute, fun, summer read. I found myself having a hard time pulling myself away from the book. I loved seeing how all the characters progressed through the book, especially Avery. I’m excited to see what adventures Kasie West has in store for us next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon