May 28, 2021

Shadow Of The Fox (Shadow Of The Fox,#1)

                         ✰

                                            CONTAINS SPOILERS



One thousand years ago, the great Kami Dragon was summoned to grant a single terrible wish—and the land of Iwagoto was plunged into an age of darkness and chaos. 

 
Now, for whoever holds the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers, a new wish will be granted. A new age is about to dawn. 


Raised by monks in the isolated Silent Winds temple, Yumeko has trained all her life to hide her yokai nature. Half kitsune, half human, her skill with illusion is matched only by her penchant for mischief. Until the day her home is burned to the ground, her adoptive family is brutally slain and she is forced to flee for her life with the temple's greatest treasure—one part of the ancient scroll. 


There are many who would claim the dragon's wish for their own. Kage Tatsumi, a mysterious samurai of the Shadow Clan, is one such hunter, under orders to retrieve the scroll…at any cost. Fate brings Kage and Yumeko together. With a promise to lead him to the scroll, an uneasy alliance is formed, offering Yumeko her best hope for survival. But he seeks what she has hidden away, and her deception could ultimately tear them both apart. 


With an army of demons at her heels and the unlikeliest of allies at her side, Yumeko's secrets are more than a matter of life or death. They are the key to the fate of the world itself. 

 

  


Magical. 


Through the years, I have read many fantasy mythology books. That is one of my favorites genres to read about. I have read Julie Kagawa’s , Iron Fey, Blood Of Eden, Talon series before coming across Shadow Of Fox . I fell in love with Julie Kagawa's writing when I read Iron Fey series a few years ago. Through the years, she became one of my favorite authors. When I came across Shadow of Fox , I had a feeling that it would be a book that I was going to enjoy. That cover, out of all her books; it's my favorite. I believe that cover caught my attention in the book; I was curious about the story behind the cover. Shadow of The Fox was unlike any other YA Fantasy book that I have read before. I have read mythology before, but not Japanese-inspired mythology, and unlike any that I have read before. I did feel a bit confused at the beginning of the book about what was happening. However, all that confusion became clearer within the next few chapters. Once it became clearer what was happening, I was drawn into the magical world. I didn't want to put the book down; I needed to see what would happen. 


Yumeko and Tatsumi's journey to get the scroll; felt as I was going through a video game. It was mainly by the way that their journey was set up, a feeling that I got. I did worry about Yumeko sometimes, traveling with the demon that takes over his mind on occasion. I was concerned that he would break free, and that wouldn't end well for Yumeko. Second, I was afraid that Tatsumi would discover that Yumeko had part of the scroll with her this whole time, and I knew there is a chance that he would kill her if he knew. I understand why she kept a secret from him; if she told him, he wouldn't help her and wouldn't think twice about killing her. I hoped that they would at least reach the temple before he discovered the truth. I couldn't help but wonder if Tatsumi's feelings toward Yumeko would change if he found out that she was a kitsune. I did wonder if he might suspect that she was utterly human. It's clear how much the relationship between Tatsumi and Yumeko changed through the book; how much they begin to care for one another. I wanted to see if anything else develops between the two of them in the next book. 


That ending. I should have expected some twist, but I did not see that coming. I couldn't help but wonder: Is this it? Is this the end for Tatsumi? . Then I thought of Yumeko and had a feeling that there would be something up her sleeve. I had a feeling that she would find a way to save him. Yumeko and Tatsumi's journey took the people that they met on the way; it changed both. Neither of them was the same as they were at the beginning of the journey, and it's far from over. I'm eager to find out where their journey takes them in Soul Of The Sword . I'm rooting for them to accomplish their goal and that Yumeko can find a way to free Tatsumi. 


Unbelievable Journey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon