May 21, 2021

Wild Women And The Blues.

 

                       ✰

                      CONTAINS SPOILERS


"Why would I talk to you about my life? I don't know you, and even if I did, I don't tell my story to just any boy with long hair, who probably smokes weed.You wanna hear about me. You gotta tell me something about you. To make this worth my while." 

 
1925: Chicago is the jazz capital of the world, and the Dreamland CafĂ© is the ritziest black-and-tan club in town. Honoree Dalcour is a sharecropper's daughter, willing to work hard and dance every night on her way to the top. Dreamland offers a path to the good life, socializing with celebrities like Louis Armstrong and filmmaker Oscar Micheaux. But Chicago is also awash in bootleg whiskey, gambling, and gangsters. And a young woman driven by ambition might risk more than she can stand to lose. 


2015: Film student Sawyer Hayes arrives at the bedside of 110-year-old Honoree Dalcour, still reeling from a devastating loss that has taken him right to the brink. Sawyer has rested all his hope on this frail but formidable woman, the only living link to the legendary Oscar Micheaux. If he's right—if she can fill in the blanks in his research, perhaps he can complete his thesis and begin a new chapter in his life. But the links Honoree makes are not ones he's expecting . . . 


Piece by piece, Honoree reveals her past and her secrets, while Sawyer fights tooth and nail to keep his. It's a story of courage and ambition, hot jazz and illicit passions. And as past meets present, for Honoree, it's a final chance to be truly heard and seen before it's too late. No matter the cost . . . 

 

 

 Historical Fiction. Mystery. As you are aware by now, those are two of my favorite genres to read. Wild Women and the Blues had mixed both of those genres. This was not the book that I could put down even if I wanted to. I found myself transported into 2015 and 1925. I loved reading from Sawyer's and Honoree's point of view; however, Honoree's perspective was more interesting for me to read, and it had a lot more happening. I came across Wild Women and the Blues on Goodreads. The cover and the title captured my attention first. The cover had a mysterious look to it and had you wondering what the woman was thinking about. The title, Wild Women and the Blues made me think of Jazz and dancing. I love books that include music, dancing. I have read few books about music, but none of those impressed me this much. Book, I didn't have high expectations when I started it since it's a debut novel. I was in love and had trouble believing it was her debut novel only a few pages into the book. It's astounding. 


I loved Honoree. Out of all characters, she was my favorite one. She was fierce, brave. Honoree experienced something horrific, and she could run away from it, got away. Instead, she stayed, even though she knew that her life could be in danger. I love that she never gave up. After reading Wild Women and the Blues , I'm eager to learn more about the Jazz Age. I knew some information before reading the book and learned even more as I read the book. The information in the book; making me eager to learn more. I liked that the 2005 and 1925 tied the stories together, and as she told Sawyer her story, I wondered what she was hiding. Even though I knew something was coming, even I was shocked at the unexpected twist at the end. I wondered how I did not see that. Wild Women and the Blues has many emotions throughout the book, which will have you on the edge of the seat from beginning until the end. 


Breathtaking. I cannot wait to see what Denny S.Bryce has in store for us next. A book that deserves more than five stars. An inspiration. A story that you won't forget.

1 comments:

Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady) said...

I like the premise of the historical part, but I'm kind of getting sick of dual timelines.

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon