Sep 29, 2024

Table For Two.

 

 


The millions of readers of Amor Towles are in for a treat as he shares some of his shorter six stories set in New York City and a novella in Los Angeles. The New York stories, most of which are set around the turn of the millennium, take up everything from the death-defying acrobatics of the male ego, to the fateful consequences of brief encounters, and the delicate mechanics of compromise which operate at the heart of modern marriages. 


In Towles’s novel, Rules of Civility, the indomitable Evelyn Ross leaves New York City in September, 1938, with the intention of returning home to Indiana. But as her train pulls into Chicago, where her parents are waiting, she instead extends her ticket to Los Angeles. Told from seven points of view, “Eve in Hollywood” describes how Eve crafts a new future for herself—and others—in the midst of Hollywood’s golden age. 


Throughout the stories, two characters often find themselves sitting across a table for two where the direction of their futures may hinge upon what they say to each other next.
Written with his signature wit, humor, and sophistication, Table for Two is another glittering addition to Towles’s canon of stylish and transporting historical fiction. 

 

 ðŸŒ¼

 
Table for Two is the third book I have read by Amor Towles , whom I accidentally discovered back in 2020, while I was in the library. This collection of short stories has been on my reading list since I learned that he was releasing it, and I was finally able to grab a copy from the library. Once again, I was not disappointed. I enjoyed most of the short stories in this book; the only downside was that they were short pieces, and I wanted the story to continue for these characters. I couldn't get enough of these people and their stories. I didn't want these stories to end. 


The first four short stories (The Line, The Ballad of Timothy Touchette, Hasta Luego, and I Will Survive) were my favorites. It wasn't that the rest weren't good, but they didn't grab my attention as much as the first four did. I kept reading because I wanted to see how they would end; even if part of me didn't want them to end, I didn't want to say goodbye. There was so much going on, I was constantly on the edge of my seat. I haven't got the chance to read Rules Of Civility yet, but I read that Eve In Hollywood is a separate story. I enjoyed most of the story, but I felt it was longer than it should have been. 


Once again, I was blown away. I had only read three of his books, but I already look forward to when he comes out with new ones. I'm excited to see what Amor Towles has in store for us next!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon