Aug 30, 2023

The Fourth Wing (The Empyrean,#1)

 
 CONTAINS SPOILERS

Twenty-year-old Violet Sorrengail was supposed to enter the Scribe Quadrant, living a quiet life among books and history. Now, the commanding general—also known as her tough-as-talons mother—has ordered Violet to join the hundreds of candidates striving to become the elite of Navarre: dragon riders.
But when you’re smaller than everyone else and your body is brittle, death is only a heartbeat away...because dragons don’t bond to “fragile” humans. They incinerate them. 


With fewer dragons willing to bond than cadets, most would kill Violet to better their own chances of success. The rest would kill her just for being her mother’s daughter—like Xaden Riorson, the most powerful and ruthless wingleader in the Riders Quadrant. 


She’ll need every edge her wits can give her just to see the next sunrise.
Yet, with every day that passes, the war outside grows more deadly, the kingdom's protective wards are failing, and the death toll continues to rise. Even worse, Violet begins to suspect leadership is hiding a terrible secret. 


Friends, enemies, lovers. Everyone at Basgiath War College has an agenda—because once you enter, there are only two ways out: graduate or die 

 

   

Where do I begin? 


This is the book that I have been hearing about for months. I couldn’t help myself and was curious about what all the hype was about. I put the book on hold but had to wait for a while because of the waitlist. Within the first few chapters of The Fourth Wing , my first question was: How did I not read this sooner? I love fantasy books, and I have read multiple fantasies throughout the years. The Fourth Wing was unlike any other books that I have read before. I love books that deal with dragons, and I have read a few in the past. Right now, this is my favorite. There was so much happening in the story, and not one dull moment. I’m glad that I decided to read this book before classes started. Multiple times, I read late into the night, and when I wasn’t reading, I was wondering what was going to happen next. 


I loved the bond that Violet had with her dragons. I was rooting for her from the start, and despite what everyone was saying, she kept on going. However, even I was surprised that she bonded to two dragons, but I know why they bonded with her. You can’t help but love Violet. I loved her from the beginning; she was fierce and brave, despite what everyone else thought of her. I’m eager to see what happens with her next, especially after that ending. I’m so glad that I decided to check this book out, a story that I cannot get out of my head. The Fourth Wing has all my emotions out of control, and I am not sure what I should be feeling right now. I do know that I wish that the second book was out so that I can see what happens. 


I was sure that Violet was going to end up with Dain. I wondered if he wasn’t controlling that maybe she would end up with him. At first, I thought that it was cute how he was trying to protect her, but then it became an obsession. I felt that Dain didn’t have any faith in her, that she would make it through this. I think that he was the most surprised when she bonded with two dragons. After what happened in the last few chapters, I think there is no going back to the friendship that they once had. Xaden, now that’s another story. He was the one character that I knew I shouldn’t like, but I couldn’t help myself. There was something about him. Violet would not admit to this, but there was something between the two of them from the beginning. Xaden cared for her more than he was willing to admit. He had many chances to kill her, but he never did. There was so much tension between the two of them, I was waiting for the two of them to see it. 


That ending. How am I supposed to wait until November to see what happens? I never saw that coming. The Fourth Wing is a breathtaking, most addictive fantasy I have read. I would highly recommend this to any fantasy fans, especially
if you love dragons.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon