Jul 22, 2022

You'll Be The Death Of Me.

 
CONTAINS SPOILERS


Ivy, Mateo, and Cal used to be close. Now all they have in common is Carlton High and the beginning of a very bad day. 


Type A Ivy lost a student council election to the class clown, and now she has to face the school, humiliated. Heartthrob Mateo is burned out--he's been working two jobs since his family's business failed. And outsider Cal just got stood up.... again. 


So when Cal pulls into campus late for class and runs into Ivy and Mateo, it seems like the perfect opportunity to turn a bad day around. They'll ditch and go into the city. Just the three of them, like old times. Except they've barely left the parking lot before they run out of things to say... 


Until they spot another Carlton High student skipping school--and follow him to the scene of his own murder. In one chance move, their day turns from dull to deadly. And it's about to get worse.
It turns out Ivy, Mateo, and Cal still have some things in common. They all have a connection to the dead kid. And they're all hiding something. 


Now they're all wondering--could it be that their chance reconnection wasn't by chance after all?

 

Thrilling. 


Karen M. McManus did it again! By now, I have read most of Karen's books, and there wasn't a single book of hers that I haven't enjoyed. I was curious about You'll Be Death of Me from the moment I saw the title and the cover. Both the cover and the title give you a mysterious vibe. You'll Be Death Of Me was a bit different than her previous books, but it was a good way. I can't even imagine following someone and finding out he's dead. On top of that, she gets framed for the murder. I had a feeling that it was drug-related murder from the start, but my question was the reason behind the murder and who was responsible for the murder. You'll Be Death Of Me isn't your typical murder mystery but a story about friendship and second chances. 

 I loved how the three old friends: Ivy, Mate, and Cal reconnected, and it seemed like the murder brought them closer. It wasn't the best time to reconnect, but at the same time, I'm glad that they did. I don't think they would make it through if the three of them didn't see each other. I loved that it was from Ivy, Mateo, and Cal's point of view, giving the readers a chance to get to know each character better. Of the three, I don't think I had a favorite one, and it's hard to pick just one. Although I wondered what Ivy was hiding from Mateo, and I was curious if Mateo and Ivy would try again, it was clear how the two of them felt about each other. From the moment that they reconnected, I saw that there was a spark between the two of them. A spark that I hoped they would explore more. 


Do you know a character, the one that you get a terrible feeling about when they are introduced? That's a feeling that I got about Lara. I knew she didn't care about Cal based on how she acted. She was using him and wasn't being honest about what she knew and what she was involved in. I was waiting and hoping that Cal would be able to see that as well. Even his friends saw it before he did. I was sure that Lara was responsible for what happened to Booney. When the real murderer was revealed, it was the least expected person; nobody even suspected him. That's what I love about Karen M.McManus ; she always has the most unexpected twists in her books, and when you think you know a killer, there's another twist. That ending...oh man, that's not even something that entered my mind. It makes me wish the book was longer, or there was another book after, so I can find out what happens afterward. 


I was sick when I started reading this book, and I spent most of my time when I wasn't sleeping reading the book. I couldn't get enough of the story. I wanted to see what would happen with Ivy, Mateo, and Cal next. I wanted to see if they would figure out what happened with Booney and who was responsible for it. Karen M.McManus has became my instant buy/ read author. I am eager to see what adventures she has in store for us next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon