Jul 4, 2022

When We Left Cuba.(The Perez Family,#2)

 
 CONTAINS SPOILERS
 


The Cuban Revolution took everything from sugar heiress Beatriz Perez--her family, her people, her country. Recruited by the CIA to infiltrate Fidel Castro's inner circle and pulled into the dangerous world of espionage, Beatriz is consumed by her quest for revenge and her desire to reclaim the life she lost. 


As the Cold War swells like a hurricane over the shores of the Florida Strait, Beatriz is caught between the clash of Cuban American politics and the perils of a forbidden affair with a powerful man driven by ambitions of his own. When the ever-changing tides of history threaten everything she has fought for, she must make a choice between her past and future--but the wrong move could cost Beatriz everything--not just the island she loves, but also the man who has stolen her heart...

 

 

  Intriguing. Suspenseful. 


Wow. I’m not sure how to even begin this review. Right now, there are emotions everywhere. I have been curious about Beatriz since she was introduced in Next Year In Havana, which was one of my favorite historical books that I read in 2021. It seems that Beatriz is a sister with a mind of her own; she’s fierce and stubborn. That was one of the things that I loved about her, how much she loved her country and how she was willing to do anything to save it. But, on the other hand, I was afraid that if she weren’t careful, she would get herself killed, just like her brother. I understand why her parents were against it, and Nick. Beatriz might not see it that way, but they tried to protect her. I was surprised that Beatriz didn’t get herself killed and the amount of danger she put herself through working for the CIA. I had a feeling that one day, she wouldn’t be as happy to escape death. Every time she went on the mission, I was sure it would be her last one. 


Nick & Beatriz : I had a feeling that something was going to occur between the two of them. The moment that the two of them met, I saw a connection there, and I think they did too. Beatriz and Nick knew they shouldn’t get involved; it would complicate everything, especially since he was a senator and couldn’t afford a scandal. However, their connection was too strong, as if they couldn’t help it. It didn’t take long to see how much they loved each other. Sometimes I felt that maybe Nick loved Beatriz more than she loved him. I know that Beatriz loved Cuba and wanted to help, but I wondered if she would perhaps give it up so that the two of them could be together. However, it didn’t seem like she could stop because to her, it felt as if she was giving up on her country, on her brother. Through the book, I hoped that they would find their way back to each other. 


I’m not sure what it was, but I had a bad feeling about Eduardo. When Beatriz got involved with the CIA, I felt that Eduardo wasn’t telling her everything, and I couldn’t help but wonder what he was hiding. I had the same feeling about him that Nick did. Yet, as the truth came out, even though I should have expected that, I was as shocked as Beatriz. What Eduardo had done, it never entered my mind that it was what he had been hiding. There was a lot of mystery surrounding Beatriz’s story. I am curious about what happened to her once she went to Spain. Another breathtaking story from Chanel Cleeton; I can’t wait to read Isabel’s story in Our Last Days In Barcelona . I would highly recommend this to any historical fiction fans. 


Magnificent.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon