Mar 13, 2021

The Bookish Life Of Nina Hill.

 

                        ✰

                                             CONTAINS SPOILERS


The only child of a single mother, Nina has her life just as she wants it: a job in a bookstore, a kick-butt trivia team, a world-class planner and a cat named Phil. If she sometimes suspects there might be more to life than reading, she just shrugs and picks up a new book. 


When the father Nina never knew existed suddenly dies, leaving behind innumerable sisters, brothers, nieces, and nephews, Nina is horrified. They all live close by! They're all—or mostly all—excited to meet her! She'll have to Speak. To. Strangers. It's a disaster! And as if that wasn't enough, Tom, her trivia nemesis, has turned out to be cute, funny, and deeply interested in getting to know her. Doesn't he realize what a terrible idea that is? 


Nina considers her options.
1. Completely change her name and appearance. (Too drastic, plus she likes her hair.) 

2. Flee to a deserted island. (Hard pass, see: coffee). 

3. Hide in a corner of her apartment and rock back and forth. (Already doing it.) 

 

 It's time for Nina to come out of her comfortable shell, but she isn't convinced real life could ever live up to fiction. It's going to take a brand-new family, a persistent suitor, and the combined effects of ice cream and trivia to make her turn her own fresh page 

 

 


Unique. Engaging. 


A book about books. What is there not to love? I might not be as organized as Nina, but like her, I'm a bookworm. Nina reminded me of myself, my love for reading. If I were to pick a perfect night, it would consist of reading. I had never worked at a bookstore, but I always wanted to. After reading Nina's adventures of working at the bookstore and the events they planned there, it made me feel like I was there. I came across this book by accident as I looked for the next book to read. I love discovering books this way, especially if they are by authors I never read before. This is the best way to find new authors. The Bookish Life Of Nina Hill was beautifully written, the emotions in this book. I went through all the emotions while reading this book. I loved that the story had some humor added to the story, making it more fun to read. I couldn't get enough of Nina's life, and I still cannot get out of my mind. 


Nina is a unique character. I felt as if she became one of my friends by reading the book. From all the characters in the book, she had the most significant character development. I felt as if I watched her grow. I know it was hard for her to adjust to her life change. I cannot even begin how it must be to find out you had a father and you have a family you never knew about. I do believe that because of what happened, that is one of the reasons for her chance. Nina had to adjust to that change. I figured that it was going to be hard for her, but she created bonds with some of her family in the end. Nina needed that; she needed that family connection. I love books that deal with family and friendship. I love how everyone attitude changed, from the moment they found out about Nina to the end. It was amazing to watch the connections forming. 


Tom. To me, he was a complex character. I loved how much he cared about Nina, how he wanted to take care of her. On the other hand, I wasn't fond of how he handled situations, like when Nina had her anxiety attack. Sometimes I wondered if Nina cared about him as much as Tom did. However, I hoped that she did. Tom seemed to be one person who made her feel calm. I was hoping that the two of them can make it work. One of my favorites was Nina's planner between chapters. I saw how much it changed from the beginning of the book to the end. The title and the cover are what captured my attention when I came across the book. The Bookish Life Of Nina Hill was intriguing until the end. Few pages towards the end, I was hesitant to turn the page because I didn't want it to end. This is a book that will stay with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon