May 10, 2020

Open Book.

☆☆☆
    open book.
Jessica Simpson.

Publisher  Dey Street Books.
Publication Date: February 4,2020.
Genre:  Nonfiction.
 Format|Pages: Kindle|416.
 Source: Goodreads| Library



















Jessica tells of growing up in 1980s Texas where she was sexually abused by the daughter of a family friend, and of unsuccessfully auditioning for the Mickey Mouse Club at age 13 with Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling before going on to sign a record deal with Columbia and marrying 98 Degrees member Nick Lachey.



Along the way, she details the struggles in her life, such as the pressure to support her family as a teenager, divorcing Lachey, enduring what she describes as an emotionally abusive relationship with musician John Mayer, being body-shamed in an overly appearance-centered industry, and going through bouts of heavy drinking. But Simpson ends on a positive note, discussing her billion-dollar apparel line and marriage with professional football star Eric Johnson, with whom she has three children. 


 






I have been a fan of Jessica Simpson for as long as I remember, while I was still in high school. At one point, her music was all that I listened to. I still have most of her music on CDs. When I heard that she wrote a memoir, I was excited about it. I love the name of her book, OPEN BOOK it feels so personal, which fits this memoir perfectly. This book…I am not even sure that I have the words to describe it, there were a lot of emotions that were going through me while reading her book, but considering what she had gone through, how could I not be emotional? The way she wrote the book, the way she talked as she was talking to her readers, which made the book so much more special. However, it was a very emotional book, and there were parts of the book that were hard to read, but at the same time, I couldn’t seem to get enough of this book. However, it made me want to embrace her into a hug. I cannot even begin to imagine, to go through everything that she has gone through. If I were in her situation, I don’t think that I would be able to handle it for long.



My heart broke for Jessica multiple times, like when she didn’t get a role for Mickey Mouse Club, which I had never seen but heard of. I had no idea that she even auditioned for the role. I did enjoy reading about the process of the auditions, which was always exciting for me to read about. I heard about her and Nick Lachey, but I never knew what happened between the two of them, why they got divorced, and was always curious about it. I do remember when the two of them got married, and they seemed so happy together. There was so much information, so much information about her life, and not everyone is able to do, to talk about her life, her struggles the way that Jessica did. The way she spoke about what was happening, what she went through, even though I cannot begin to imagine what she went through, I felt as I could as I read the book. There was so much that I wasn’t aware of her life before I read the book. However, I am glad that she was finally able to find someone she was happy with, who loves her for who she is.



OPEN BOOK Is a hard book to read, yet it is a book that you will find a hard time putting down once you pick it up. I am glad that I finally had a chance to read it. If you are a fan of Jessica Simpson, I would highly recommend picking this book up and checking out. However, be prepared for an emotional ride.








0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon