Jul 18, 2024

The Last House On The Street.

 

 
 


When Kayla Carter's husband dies in an accident while building their dream house, she knows she has to stay strong for their four-year-old daughter. But the trophy home in Shadow Ridge Estates, a new development in sleepy Round Hill, North Carolina, will always hold tragic memories. But when she is confronted by an odd, older woman telling her not to move in, she almost agrees. It's clear this woman has some kind of connection to the area...and a connection to Kayla herself. Kayla's elderly new neighbor, Ellie Hockley, is more welcoming, but it's clear she, too, has secrets that stretch back almost fifty years. 


Is Ellie on a quest to right the wrongs of the past? And does the house at the end of the street hold the key? Told in dual time periods, The Last House on the Street is a novel of shocking prejudice and violence, forbidden love, the search for justice, and the tangled vines of two families. 

 

 🌼

 
Haunting. 


I've been reading Diane Chamberlain's novels for years. I've read most of her works, and there hasn't been one that I haven't fallen in love with. The Last House on The Street was no exception; it's now one of my favorite books by her. This has been on my to-read list for a while, so I was delighted when I discovered it at the library. Reading The Last House On The Street captivated me in Kayla and Ellie's life, and I couldn't get enough of their stories. I enjoyed Kayla's and Ellie's points of view, although Ellie's drew my attention more. I liked Ellie's point of view on voting rights, which I recently learned in one of my classes. I recall learning about the violence. I can't image what those people went through and the hate they received simply because they volunteered to help black people vote. I loved Ellie because, despite her family and friends' judgment, she didn't stop helping them. 


When I read about dual timelines, I constantly wonder if there's any link between them. I wondered if Ellie would find her way into Kayla's story, even though the events took place years apart. Ellie's and Kayla's stories were both intriguing, but Kayla felt more mysterious. Someone clearly did not want Kayla to move into that house, but the issue remained, 'Why?' What didn’t they want Kayla to find? I couldn't help but think about how the stories would end and what Kayla would uncover. I liked how detailed the descriptions and feelings of the characters were, making me feel like I was right there with Kayla and Ellie. The Last House On The Street is a book that makes you wonder until the last page. 


The Last House On The Street is a different book from what the author typically writes. This novel kept me interested till the very last page. It was a beautifully written novel that was upsetting and had my emotions running wild. I highly recommend this book, especially to mystery and historical fiction fans. I can’t wait to see what the author has for us next!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon