Jul 18, 2024

Nantucket Nights.

 

 
3.5


The ties between women can run as deep as the ocean-but so can the secrets. 


For 20 years, Kayla, Antoinette and Val have performed their own special summer ritual. Once a year, the old friends put aside their daily, separate lives to drink champagne, swap stories and swim naked under the Nantucket stars. But on one of those bonding nights, one of their trio swims out from the shore and doesn't return. After the surviving friends emerge from their grief, they realize that the repercussions of their loss go far beyond their little circle, and they begin to uncover layers of secrets--and their connections to each other--that were never revealed on the beach. What has made their friendship strong now has the power to destroy--their marriages, families, even themselves. 

 

 🌼

 It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Elin Hilderbrand. I bought Nantucket Nights for the book signing because it was one of her books I hadn't read before. As always, her books leave me craving for more. I liked that Nantucket Nights was enveloped by the mystery of Antoinette's disappearance; how does someone vanish while swimming? I had a sense that Antoinette was someplace out there. Otherwise, her body would be found if she drowned. As a reader, you couldn't help but wonder where she was hiding and why she decided to flee. Several scenarios were running through my mind while I was reading. 


Kayla was not an easy character to like. I wanted to like her, but it was difficult at times. She seemed to be complaining her way through the book. While I can appreciate her concern for her friend who went missing, it appeared to be constant. Yet, I couldn’t get enough of the story. It could be because I wanted to see what happened to Antoinette and what other secrets Kayla may discover next. One of my favorite aspects of the book was the mystery. 


Theo. I was uncertain of how to feel about him. I felt that his treatment of his mother was unfair. Although I assumed he was hiding something, I never considered the real reason for his actions. It’s still not an excuse for treating his mother like he did. Though not my favorite book by Elin Hilderbrand, I did enjoy Nantucket Nights . Nevertheless, I can see myself returning to this story in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon