May 19, 2023

The Lake.

 

 
 

3.5 Stars

 

  Esme and Kayla once were campers at Camp Pine Lake. They're excited to be back this year as CITs (counselors in training). Esme loves the little girls in her cabin and thinks it's funny how scared they are of everything--spiders, the surly head counselor, the dark, boys . . . even swimming in the lake! It reminds her a little of how she and Kayla used to be, once. Before . . . it happened. Because Esme and Kayla did something bad when they were campers. Afterwards, the girls agreed to keep it secret. 

They've moved on--or so they say--and this summer is going to be great. Two months of sun, s'mores, and flirting with the cute boy counselors. But then they get a note. THE LAKE NEVER FORGETS. And the secret they've kept buried for so many years is about to resurface.

    

 
Horror is one of those genres that I’m very picky about. I have read few books by Natasha Preston and I had enjoyed most of the ones that I have read. I had The Lake on my reading list since the book came out, but school schedule prevented me from reading it earlier. I had enjoyed The Lake but not the way that I had enjoyed the previous books. I felt that this book lacked the action that the books I read previously. I felt that this book was more of thriller than horror, and maybe that is just me, but that’s the feeling that I got while reading the book. It took me few chapters to get into this book, it started out a bit slow for me. Once the book picked it, was hard for me to put the book down. I couldn’t help but wonder what happened all those years ago, for Lillian to want a revenge. 


I was little disappointed in the secret, the way that Esme and Kayla was acting, and all the threats that Lillian was giving them, I assumed that the secret would be bigger than it was. Though once the book progressed, the threats became more scary, to the point that I couldn’t stop turning the pages, because I wanted to see what Lillian would come up with next. Would Kayla and Esme be available to stop her in time, before somebody got hurt? I understand that Lillian was upset with what happened, but I think that she went too far in her revenge. 


That ending. It did not feel like an ending, I felt there should been more, an explanation or a follow up book. The ending did not feel complete for me. I did enjoy most of the book, and I am eager to see what Natasha Preston has in store for us next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon