Apr 13, 2022

The Lobotomist's Wife.

 
CONTAINS SPOILERS


An enthralling historical novel of a compassionate and relentless woman, a cutting-edge breakthrough in psychiatry, and a nightmare in the making. 


Since her brother took his life after WWI, Ruth Emeraldine has had one goal: to help those suffering from mental illness. Then she falls in love with charismatic Robert Apter—a brilliant doctor championing a radical new treatment, the Lobotomy. Ruth believes in it as a miracle treatment and in Robert as its genius pioneer. But as her husband spirals into deluded megalomania, Ruth can’t ignore her growing suspicions. Robert is operating on patients recklessly, often with horrific results. And a vulnerable young mother, Margaret Baxter, is poised to be his next victim. 


Margaret can barely get out of bed, let alone care for her infant. When Dr. Apter diagnoses her with the baby blues and proposes a lobotomy, she believes the procedure is her only hope. Only Ruth can save her—and scores of others—from the harrowing consequences of Robert’s ambitions. 


Haunting. Mysterious. 


The Lobotomist’s Wife wasn’t the book I expected; it was so much more. I was surprised to find that the book's story was based on facts. I have heard of Lobotomy before, but I didn’t know much about the procedure. I had no idea how Lobotomy was even discovered. I had more details once I read The Lobotomist’s Wife . In the beginning, like Ruth, I loved how her husband Robert was helping the patients; he was making their lives better. However, when the story started to progress, I became suspicious of how he performed the Lobotomy and how often. I noticed how he started to convince his patients that Lobotomy was their only option for getting better. I had a feeling that he didn’t even give them a chance to think about it; he kept talking to them until they agreed to the procedure. I had the feeling that he wasn’t telling Ruth the whole truth about the Lobotomy procedures. 


I wanted Ruth to find out, to see that Lobotomy wasn’t helping the patients the way he claimed it does. Robert has a way of convincing others; he doesn’t like it when he’s not right. I’m glad that Ruth found out when she did. I had a feeling that it wouldn’t be easy to stop Robert; he wouldn’t go down without a fight. I was afraid that he would hurt Ruth in the process, if not worse. I started to wonder if she would be able to stop him. I loved Ruth’s determination; she didn't give up no matter what was happening. The length that Ruth went to protect her patients takes courage. I loved Ruth from the beginning. The Lobotomist’s Wife is not a book that you will be able to put down; there is always something happening. Every single page. It was hard for me to believe that it was the author’s debut novel. I couldn’t get enough. I can’t wait to see what she has in store for us next. 


Highly recommended for any historical fiction and suspense fans.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon