Apr 4, 2022

Chasing Shadows.

 
CONTAINS SPOILERS
 


Lena is a wife and mother who farms alongside her husband in the tranquil countryside. Her faith has always been her compass, but can she remain steadfast when the questions grow increasingly complex and the answers could mean the difference between life and death? 


Lena's daughter Ans has recently moved to the bustling city of Leiden, filled with romantic notions of a new job and a young Dutch police officer. But when she is drawn into Resistance work, her idealism collides with the dangerous reality that comes with fighting the enemy. 


Miriam is a young Jewish violinist who immigrated for the safety she thought Holland would offer. She finds love in her new country, but as her family settles in Leiden, the events that follow will test them in ways she could never have imagined. 


The Nazi invasion propels these women onto paths that cross in unexpected, sometimes-heartbreaking ways. Yet the story that unfolds illuminates the surprising endurance of the human spirit and the power of faith and love to carry us through. 

 

 

 

Heart-wrenching. Inspirational. 


Most inspirational book. I should know that this book would shatter my heart into million pieces. I cannot begin to imagine going through something this horrific. There are not enough words to explain what I am feeling right now. I have read a few books about World War II; however, this one hit me the hardest. I loved the book, and most of the time couldn't seem to be able to put the book down. Chasing Shadows was a hard book to read, and there were a few times that I did have to put it down. I could never imagine how it was to endure the Nazi invasion during World War II, but from those descriptions, I felt as if I was there I could. Chasing Shadows had the most vivid descriptions of World War II. To constantly live in that fear and not knowing if you will ever see your loved ones again. My heart broke for every single one of them. 


It was interesting to read the story of three different women and how they came together. I don't think that I had a favorite; each of them was unique. These women were strong, even when it was hard to stay strong. Mariam, my heart broke for her the most, to have to give up her child because there was no other choice. Throughout the book, I was rooting for Mariam to make it through the war. I'm glad that her daughter ended up with Ans's mother, Lena; I knew she would be loved and protected. Mariam and Ans were meant to meet, who knows what would happen to her if they didn't come across one another. All three women changed through the war, especially Ans, a completely different girl from before the war. Stronger. I loved that she didn't give up helping in resistance, even when her boyfriend tried to stop her. She saved so many lives. 


I wanted to like Erik, and in the beginning, I did. However, when he started working for the Nazis, always making excuses why he couldn't get out, I became suspicious. He could still help in the resistance, but he didn't even try to do that. I saw how much Ans loved him, and that's why she didn't see through him or refused to see until the end. I was glad that she finally saw his true colors. I loved Mariam and Avi's story and how they have met and stood by each other. I was rooting for them to make it through the war. Chasing Shadows is a book that will make you cry on multiple occasions. I was curious about the title; that is what had me picking up the book, and as the story progressed, the title made so much more sense. 


I could tell that the author did a massive amount of research for the book based on the amount of detail. Before picking up this one at my library, I haven't read any books by Lynn Austin . I feel that she is going to become one of my favorite authors. I would highly recommend this book to any historical fiction fans, especially if you enjoy reading about World War II. Be prepared for an emotional ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon