Sep 29, 2020

Woman 99.

 

                              
 

   CONTAINS SPOILERS


A vivid historical thriller about a young woman whose quest to free her sister from an infamous insane asylum risks her sanity, her safety and her life .

 Charlotte Smith's future is planned to the last detail, and so was her sister's - until Phoebe became a disruption. When their parents commit Phoebe to a notorious asylum, Charlotte knows there's more to the story than madness. Shedding her identity to become an anonymous inmate, "Woman Ninety-Nine," Charlotte uncovers dangerous secrets. 

 Insanity isn't the only reason her fellow inmates were put away - and those in power will do anything to keep the truth, or Charlotte, from getting out .

 

  
 

 I have read a book by GREER MACALLISTER before picking this one up, but it has been a few years since I have. In 2015, I picked up The Magician’s Lie and fell in love with the story. Lately, I have been hearing about WOMAN 99 , and that’s when I found out that I have read the author before. I loved that it was a different type of historical fiction, not the kind of historical fiction that I have been reading. I was excited about this story, and it seemed the book that I would enjoy. I read books that took place in an asylum before, but they weren’t anything like WOMAN 99 was. That was one of the things that I loved about it: how unique it was. I couldn’t seem to get enough of Charlotte’s story, which kept me wondering if she would be able to get Phoebe out. What would happen if she did manage to get her out? All the details in the book, everything Charlotte had to go through, to get her sister out, they had me on the edge of my seat.

 

 I couldn’t believe how far Charlotte was willing to go to save Phoebe, what she had done, to have herself committed at the asylum. I did wonder if Phoebe would want to go with her. If she went to her, because of how far Charlotte went, to get her out. I wondered what her parents would think if she did get her out if it would be the reunion that Charlotte was hoping for. It’s clear how much Charlotte loved her sister, what lengths she was willing to go. I did worry that there was a possibility that Charlotte wouldn’t be able to escape the asylum. WOMAN 99 started slow for me, and I wondered if it would reach my expectations. It did pick up, once Charlotte got herself committed, and that’s when I had trouble putting the book down. I loved that the novel focused on the women, and the way they were treated, and what they had deal with during that time. I loved all the descriptions of the asylum and everything that happened there. It was so vivid that I could picture it as I read. 

 

 WOMAN 99 wasn’t what I expected it to be. It was an interesting story to read, and there were many scenes in the book where I found it hard to put down. I wanted to see what would happen if they would escape. Most of all, I was curious about what would happen to them afterward, if they would ever see each other again. There were slow parts in the book, but it’s also a story that will stay with me. I would recommend WOMAN 99 , a book worth checking out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon