Dec 29, 2023

American Royals (American Royals, #1)

 

 


What if America had a royal family? 

 
When America won the Revolutionary War, its people offered General George Washington a crown. Two and a half centuries later, the House of Washington still sits on the throne.
As Princess Beatrice gets closer to becoming America's first queen regnant, the duty she has embraced her entire life suddenly feels stifling. Nobody cares about the spare except when she's breaking the rules, so Princess Samantha doesn't care much about anything, either . . . except the one boy who is distinctly off-limits to her. 


And then there's Samantha's twin, Prince Jefferson. If he'd been born a generation earlier, he would have stood first in line for the throne, but the new laws of succession make him third. Most of America adores their devastatingly handsome prince . . . but two very different girls are vying to capture his heart.

 

Something about royalty fascinates me; I enjoy reading about it. This is not the first book I've read about royals, nor will it be the last. I read American Royals in 2019 but forgot to review it afterwards. Because it had been a few years, I decided to re-read the book before moving on to the other books in the series. It didn't take long for me to remember why I enjoyed the book the first time I read it. There are so many reasons why I loved this book that I don't know where to begin to describe it. I couldn't put this book down. I began reading this book yesterday morning as we began driving back from Tennessee to Maryland, and I finished it this morning. The only time I paused was when we stopped at a gas station to use the restroom. It made me glad I was on winter break and not working. American Royals is not the type of book you can put down because just when you think you've reached the end, a twist will have you turning pages again. 


I had forgotten that it was written from multiple points of view and was unsure how it would work. However, it worked out great, and I felt like I got to know each of the characters much better within a few chapters. Beatrice and Nina were my favorite characters, though Samantha won me over near the end. I can't imagine having to deal with what Princess Beatrice had to deal with; all those restrictions and not being able to choose who she married. I wanted to reach out and hug her when she found out about her father; the burden she had to bear. I hoped she'd tell someone about her father so she wouldn't have to deal with it alone, but I understood why she didn't. I admired Connor and Beatrice's connection and love, but I was concerned that it would not end well for them because Beatrice was expected to marry someone of a certain social class. I was, however, rooting for her and Connor from the start. 


Daphne. I tried to find something I liked about her, but I couldn't. I despised how far she went to get what she desired. The worst part is that when Nina approached Jefferson about it, he took her side. I hope Jefferson discovers what she has done. I don't think she even loves him; she just wants him back so she can be a princess. She's the type of character who's impossible to root for. Nina, on the other hand, did not deserve what she had to endure. Regardless of how her and Jeff's relationship ended, I hope they can find their way back to each other; they belong together. 


That ending shattered my heart into a million pieces. I can't help but wonder how that will affect everyone. How could it not? I can't wait to find out in the next book in the series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon