Jul 25, 2023

Lessons In Chemistry

 


Chemist Elizabeth Zott is not your average woman. In fact, Elizabeth Zott would be the first to point out that there is no such thing as an average woman. But it’s the early 1960s and her all-male team at Hastings Research Institute takes a very unscientific view of equality. Except for one: Calvin Evans; the lonely, brilliant, Nobel–prize nominated grudge-holder who falls in love with—of all things—her mind. True chemistry results. 


But like science, life is unpredictable. Which is why a few years later Elizabeth Zott finds herself not only a single mother, but the reluctant star of America’s most beloved cooking show Supper at Six. Elizabeth’s unusual approach to cooking (“combine one tablespoon acetic acid with a pinch of sodium chloride”) proves revolutionary. But as her following grows, not everyone is happy. Because as it turns out, Elizabeth Zott isn’t just teaching women to cook. She’s daring them to change the status quo. 

 
Laugh-out-loud funny, shrewdly observant, and studded with a dazzling cast of supporting characters, Lessons in Chemistry is as original and vibrant as its protagonist.
 

  

 I have been hearing about this book for few months now, even though it has been out longer than that. I couldn’t help myself; I was curious about the book that so many are talking about. I would have read it sooner, expect my library had long wait list on the book. Once I started to read Lessons In Chemistry I could see why so many were talking about this book, and the reason that it won an award. I love science and anything related to any form of science, and that was one of the things that hooked me into this book. I have read another book that dealt with a women scientist, but this one had its own unique twist when it comes to women and science. 


Cooking and Science, a mix that you don’t often think about. I had a feeling that when Elizabeth got offered to do a cooking show on television, was not going to be what she imagined it would be. However, that didn’t stop her, she found a way to make the show her own. I couldn’t help but wonder how long she would end up on the show, because cooking isn’t what she wanted to do, she was a scientist. All through the book, I wondered if she would end up going back to it, I hoped that she would. I did love her cooking segments and always wonder what she was going to explain next. You couldn’t help but love Elizabeth, there was something about her personality that you wanted to get to know her. She was one of the strongest women, despite with everything she went through, she kept on going. 


Of course, you can’t help but love her dog, six-thirty. Isn’t that an unique name? It’s no wonder that people got confused when they asked the dog’s name and she told them, they assumed she was telling them the time. Six Thirty is one of the smartest dogs that I read about, I loved how he knew so much, and how much Elizabeth was able to teach him. I know that he understood much more than what others assumed that he did. I loved that the book had a humor in the mix, made it even more interesting to read, I couldn’t get enough. I can see why this book was popular, and would highly recommend it. An extraordinary ride!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon