Oct 25, 2020

Dear Martin(Dear Martin,#1)

 

                                                                

  CONTAINS SPOILERS

 

 

Justyce McAllister is top of his class and set for the Ivy League—but none of that matters to the police officer who just put him in handcuffs. And despite leaving his rough neighborhood behind, he can't escape the scorn of his former peers or the ridicule of his new classmates. Justyce looks to the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for answers. But do they hold up anymore? He starts a journal to Dr. King to find out. 


Then comes the day Justyce goes driving with his best friend, Manny, windows rolled down, music turned up—way up, sparking the fury of a white off-duty cop beside them. Words fly. Shots are fired. Justyce and Manny are caught in the crosshairs. In the media fallout, it's Justyce who is under attack. 

 

  

 

  Oh man. This is the book that everyone should read. It’s such powerful, moving, and real. It’s a book that you will talking to your friends about. The emotions in this book, I felt as if I could feel them, even if I cannot imagine what it must been like. I felt like I could. DEAR MARTIN is one of the books that have been on my to-read list, I have seen people talking about it. Once I started it reading it, I knew why. DEAR MARTIN covers so many important issues, and those are the ones that happen in real life. I have read other books on this topic, The Hate U Give , which is one of my favorites, but this was unique, and that was one of the things that I loved about this book. Dr. Martin Luther King is what teachers talk about in school; I remember learning about him in high school. I loved how Justyce spoke out about what was happening and how he felt about it by writing letters. I enjoyed reading his letters. It was powerful, but at the same time, heartbreaking. 


It did not take me long to finish this book. I was so engrossed in the story, one more chapter turning into five more. Before I even realized it, I was done. Once I finished it, I wanted to go back and reread it. I am sure that DEAR MARTIN will be a book that I will be re-reading for years to come. I couldn’t believe that this was NIC STONE’S debut novel. If this was her first novel, I could not wait to see what else she comes up with. DEAR MARTIN is the type of book that I wish I could write. My heart broke for Justyce about what happened to Manny; I don’t think I can even imagine having to go through something like that. Over loud music? Who does that? I was upset because I loved Manny and not only upset but also angry. It was then that I wanted to throw the book. DEAR MARTIN is an emotional book. You will cry, get angry and frustrated, but will keep on reading. 


Sarah Jane, SJ. I loved her from the start. I loved how strong she was and the way that she did not let anyone push her around. I loved the bond that she and Justyce established. It did not take long to figure out how they felt about each other. Even if SJ tried to deny it in the beginning. I found myself hoping that she would realize it at some point. I was rooting for the two of them. The only what I did not enjoy as much was the ending; I felt as if it was a bit rushed. Otherwise, this was a beautifully written story. DEAR MARTIN is not a book that you will forget. I am still thinking about it, and it had been days since I have finished it. Be prepared for an emotional ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Story For Dessert Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon